Travelling to Westhampton can be comfortable and easy, especially if you’re travelling from the New York City metro area. There are a variety of options to get you there, but whether you’re interested in price, speed, or comfort, we’ve lined up some of the best options for any vacation to Westhampton.
The best route is Sunrise Highway, also known as Montauk Highway, since it passes through all the towns along the length of the island.
There are several ways to get to Sunrise Highway (Route 27), so look at a map for interchange courses.
- From Sunrise Highway, take exit 61 for County Road and keep left, following the signs for Eastport
- Turn right when you get to Eastport Manor Road
- Turn left onto Old Country Road and it will take you into town
The Hampton Jitney is the best bus option to the Hamptons. The buses are well-furnished, with baggage racks, wi-fi, tray tables, and refreshments. Tickets are roughly $30 each way for standard service and $45 for Ambassador Class, which features wider seats and electric plugins.
If you’re travelling from Manhattan, you can get picked up from the 86th Street, 69th Street, 59th Street, or 40th Street Jitney stops and take the Montauk Line to Westhampton. The Westhampton stop is at Casa Basso, which is located at 59 Montauk Highway. From there, you’ll have to call a taxi to get into town.
If you’re flying into New York City and plan to transfer to the bus service, you should follow Hampton Jitney’s instructions, included below:
For JFK and LaGuardia:
- “Airport connection passengers should take a cab from JFK or LaGuardia to our Queens Airport Connection stop in Fresh Meadows, Queens. This stop is located at the corner of 190th Street and the Eastbound Service Road of the L.I.E. (Take L.I.E. to Exit 25 eastbound, follow the service road to 190-02 Horace Harding Blvd, in front of the AMC Loews Fresh Meadows 7).”
- “In New York City, Olympia Trails departs from 41st and Park Avenue, 7 days per week, every 15 – 20 minutes. Travel time is approximately 35 – 40 minutes. Charge is $11.00 to Newark Airport. $21.00 round trip and Seniors/Disabled $5.00 each way.”
- “Passengers will need to make a reservation with Village Taxi, (631-588-1055). The taxi fare is $13 for the first passenger and $1.00 for each additional passenger. Islip/MacArthur Airport connection passengers should take a cab to the southwest corner of Ronkonkoma Avenue and the Eastbound L.I.E. Service Road. (L.I.E. Exit 60 Eastbound). Scheduled pick-up is one hour and five minutes from 40th St. departure time. Passengers should call HJ at 631-283-4600 upon arrival at airport to reconfirm pick-up. All Eastbound reservations require credit card reservation.”
To travel between Manhattan and Southampton by train, the best service is on the Montauk line of the Long Island Rail Road, which offers their Cannonball service between May 23rd and September 1st (the peak months for the Hamptons). For an advanced reservation of $27.00 (or $33.00 onboard the train), you can travel directly to the Hamptons with no stops in between. Westbound fare (back to Manhattan) is $19.75 with a reservation, or $26.00 paid on the train.
For passengers looking for a more luxurious ride, the Cannonball service also has a Hampton Reserve option, which offers on-train beverages and extended reservations, which ensure seating for an entire week, or even a season! One-way eastbound tickets are $47.00 with reservation ($54.00 onboard the train), while one-way westbound tickets are $39.75 ($47.00 onboard the train). For more details about the Hampton Reserve option, go to http://www.mta.info/lirr/hamptons.
Reservations or pre-bought tickets are recommended to ensure seating. All tickets can be bought in any LIRR terminal. When travelling from Manhattan, trains leave from Penn Station, located at 33rd St. and 8th Ave.
From the Westhampton train station you can take the Suffolk Transit S90 bus into town, or you can call a taxi at (631) 288-3252. Fare for the bus is $1.50, and the bus runs through Westhampton and on to East Quogue, Flanders, and Riverhead. A list of stops is available here.